Step 1: Skein it Up
Step 2: Start Measuring
- Knitty has a great review of various methods of measuring, including a niddy noddy, swift counter, yardage counter and scale.
- A more detailed tutorial on how to measure yarn with a Niddy Noddy is on Leigh’s Fiber Journal.
- KnitChat shows how to use a method similar to a Niddy Noddy, but using the back of a chair or piece of cardboard (with sample calculations!)
- Interweave explains why different spinners may arrive at different measurements.
- FreshStitches explains how to calculate yarn length using weight (although for handspun, you’ll need an accurate measurement of your yarn’s weight per inch… a topic for another day!).
- Knitty shows how to build your own yarn measuring kit.
- The Spinzilla blog gives an overview of measurement techniques.
Wow… that’s a lot of options! But just as you discovered your favorite bobbin and plying technique, I’m sure you’ll discover your favorite measuring technique as well!
Let’s get spinning!
Fall is an exciting time in the fiber world! Here is an (incomplete) list of some fiber festivals happening in the US & Canada. If a vendor has confirmed with us that they’ll be carrying Louet product, we’ve listed them!
For the most complete list of fiber events we know of, check out the Knitter’s Review List of Events!
- Northern Michigan Lamb and Wool Festival, Ogemaw County Fairgrounds, September 30 & October 1st.
Knit City 2017 , Vancouver Canada, September 30 – October 1, 2017Recreated Textiles will in booth 141.
Taos Wool Festival, Taos, NM. October 7 & 8.
NYS sheep and wool fest, Rhinebeck NY, October 21&22nd. Adirondak yarns will be vending.
Knit East, St. Andrews, New Brunswick Canada, October 20-22.
Cowichan Fleece and Fibre festival, Cobble Hill, British Columbia Canada, October 21st.Cool Cat Fiber Works will be a vendor.
Fiber Mania, Grants Pass, OR. October 28 & 29.
Vogue Knitting Live, Seattle, WA, November 3-5.
Calgary Fibre Arts Fair, Calgary, Canada. November 4 & 5, 2017. Recreated Textiles will have a booth.
Fall Fiber Festival in Hopkins, MN, November 4th. Saga Hill Designs will be vending.
Weaving & Fiber Arts Weekend at Nezinscot Farm in Turner, ME. November 11-13.